A place where I can leave my thoughts, ideas, and rants about anything and everything. From my hobbies and life to my pet peeves. Soon this will be just as cluttered as the inside of my head.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Revamping the kitchen hardware

I have been slowly replacing pieces of hardware in the kitchen. Recently replaced all the cheap plastic measuring cups with heavy glass cups. All my drinking glasses finally match, I had a selection that didn't quite match my style or the rest of the glassware I had recently purchased. Finally got rid of the cheap mixed match set of steak knives replaced with a nice set I got for Christmas.


I finally got around to adding to the set of Corelle plates that my sister gave me. There were only five dinner plates and four bread plates. I added two more dinner plates over the past couple years. Couple weeks ago I decided that I wanted to compete the set with bowls and a few more plates. I visited Wal-Mart only to discover they were no longer available on the shelf. I checked online and the sets were there but Wal-Mart didn't offer open stock in Classic Cafe Blue. Even Corelle's website don't offer much of a selection. I did purchase six of the larger 28oz bowls from them and will be getting a set of lunch plates. Replacement.com had a better selection; I ordered one dinner plate, two bread plates, and six cereal bowls that matched.

This gives me a total of:
8 dinner plates
6 lunch plates
6 bread plates
6 18oz bowls
6 28oz bowls

I currently don't know if this design has been retired or just most places stopped selling in favour of a more popular or fresh design. I have always liked the simple blue striped design, the nostalgia of it makes me think of a small diner sitting on the side of route 66. The plates stack more compact than most and they are not as heavy as ceramic plates.


My flatware is also getting some new additions. For years I have tried to find more pieces to add to the set of Watertown stainless steel flatware made in Japan. I knew nothing of the set. One Etsy listing has me to believe the set was produced in the 1960's. My mom and sister saw that I was looking for more of this design and took a look through their flatware and found a few more spoons and knives for me. Ebay has a few listings that were reasonably priced and I have about 16 pieces in the mail already. The flatware has a simple but interesting design, the handles has a border made up of a repeating pattern of crickets or maybe they are praying mantis.

No comments:

Post a Comment