A place where I can leave my thoughts, ideas, and rants about anything and everything. From my hobbies and life to my pet peeves. Soon this will be just as cluttered as the inside of my head.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Growing razor collection

Not sure how I ended up with so many razors but I currently have 30 single / double edge razors. I started this collection with an idea to save money on buying razor blades since I'm forced to shave in order to maintain my job. With the average cost for the multi blade cartridge is $20 for a five pack and the average cost for a double edge razor blade is $20 for a box of 100, this seemed like a wise decision.

I started with a Gillette ball end tech that dad believes was one belong to my grandfather. I loved this razor and used it for roughly a year before dad showed up with another razor, this time a Gillette super speed flare tip. I could have stopped here, could have gone the rest of my life without ever having to pick up another razor besides these two. But we all already know what happen. My collection grew as I found forgotten treasures buried in flea markets, lucked out on several eBay auctions, and received a few more as gifts along the way.


I currently have most of the common Gillette razor models and a few lesser known ones like the prison razor, one that requires a key to take it apart to replace the blade. All of my razors are nut in mint condition and to be honest I'm glad they are not, I have personally used every single razor I have except for one, the Dunham duplex, I simple don't have any blades for this razor, I bought it simply to use the solid handle on a few other razors. I also have a few Treet and ever ready single edge razors along with two Shick injector razors that found their way into the collection but again the lack of blades available has prevent me from all but testing the razors out.


My newest addition is a 1941 Gillette Ranger tech, the grandfather of the super speeds. I have a soft spot for the super speeds, they have been through many changes through their production run and I have several that act as strong stones through time.


No comments:

Post a Comment